henriette . aka . luna

9.7.06

S.T.A.R.T

May I 2005

USA
New York City,
Pennsylvania

Hello my friend,
it is different than you think!!

I tell you here on these blog's

the story of my 'open end' trip!

When I left home I told my family and friends that I will ride a Royal Enfield motorcycle which I ordered in Munich/Germany, to Spain.

But that never happened – the dealer was running late with my order and told me every week “next week”.
After listening to this “next week” for a while I let him know that I am not interested in this deal that way any more and he can keep it.
I checked the e-net for dealers in the states and went to the travel agency.




“A ticket to New York please!”
Pack my gear, which is quiet a lot, in different bags and started my journey in to unknown at Monday


9th of may 2005!

The same night I arrive at this crazy, incredible and unbelievable New York. After a easy but super save immigration at the JFK airport I take a taxi to lower Manhattan.
I know there are busses & metros going, but with all my stuff.
I felt I had to spend this 50 $ . I stay at the white house hotel of new York.
Does that sound exclusive and expensive??
It’s everything else then that. It is cheap and has a good location – that’s all. Theses ‘zells’ are just big enough for something like a bed and a little luggage. The whole ‘room’ measures enormous 7 x 5 ft. – crazy!?

The next day I’m not going like a good tourist to see the sights – I take the train to new jersey, to the next Royal Enfield dealer.
He doesn’t has what I am looking for and the ‘will’ of selling they show is not too big. Back to the big apple.

With the subway I get easy to the sights like empire state building where I take a visual flight around the city (ooooh I felt sick afterwards – like on a roller coaster), stroll to little Italy, Chinatown, ground zero (enormous crater), battery park where I viewed the statue of liberty and watched people prod a movie.
On an evening I go and see a Broadway show and leave at Thursday morning the city.
By taxi to the bus terminal to catch a bus to Scranton /Pennsylvania.
There I put all my stuff in a motel and search for my Royal Enfield dealer.
.


Hmmmm – not open yet – so I walk over to the police station.
The very friendly and surprisingly helpful sir chief officer Charles is impressed by my idea and starts to call ...... He called here and there, insurance and other official offices!
Amazing!
The same way are Lisa & Paul my Royal Enfield dealer, they do what they can do to help me to let my dream come true!!

At Friday the 13th I am that lucky to be able to buy the motorcycle, got a insurance and a number plate.
I am almost on the road – babies!
The whole Saturday we work at the bike and organize to get ready.
The chief of police drops in for a visit and is still fascinated that this idea of riding a ‘vintage’ bike across the states, Canada, central America and south America starts in ‘his’ little town – that never happened in his 21 years of duty!

I don’t know what he has, that never happened the whole 29 years of Henriette alias LUNA!!
So I hope the poring rain stops soon so I can start my journey. First I say thank you to Lisa & Paul for all their incredible help.

After a test ride – “I’m ready to go!”

(I feel I have to tell you why I dont have more pictures of the beginning of my journey - i took slides and they are somewhere at my home in austria - only my sister knows)